8 Vitamin D facts make Londoners want to supplement!
1. Vitamin D controls over 1000 body processes (including immune function, bone density and anti-ageing). (1,2)
2. 50% of UK adults are vitamin D deficient. (3)
3. Vitamin D production is optimal at midday, so the shorter your shadow, the more you make (relative to your height of course). (4)
4. In summer, two or three 20-30 minute exposures of mid-day sunlight/week is enough in the UK. (3)
5. You make less vitamin D from the sun the greater;
your skin is pigmented (if could take 15mins for fair skin, compared to 2 hours for dark)
your distance from the equator (3,5)
6. Clouds, sunscreen and air pollution all decrease vitamin D production from the sun. Glass completely blocks it! (4)
7. Between October and April, 90% of the UK don’t produce enough vitamin D from sun exposure, so must rely on diet. (3)
8. Few foods contain substantial vitamin D, oily fish, beef liver and egg yolks. (3,5)
Look out for the next article, how to supplement your vitamin D!
Alex Horne Chiropractic – Where the sun is always shining (from directly overhead). Don’t miss our special offer!
3) Pearce SH, Cheetham TD; Diagnosis and management of vitamin D deficiency. BMJ. 2010 Jan 11;340:b5664. doi: 10.1136/bmj.b5664
5) Vitamin D clinical guideline, NHS North of Tyne (2011)